Prerequisites for Master's degrees
- Master of Geosciences
- Master of Data Sciences and Artificial Intelligence (DSAI)
- Master of Physical Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (PCCE)
This two-year graduate program, proposed exclusively in the context of the French-Azerbaijani University (UFAZ), specializes in Geosciences with an emphasis modeling of physical and chemical processes within the Earth. It is piloted by Ecole et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre of Strasbourg University (France), in collaboration with the University of Rennes-1.
The program combines training in advanced aspects of Geology, Geophysics, and Geochemistry requiring a strong background in Mathematics, Physics, and Computer Programming. This training is provided by seasoned Professors and Assistant Professors from Strasbourg and Rennes-1 Universities and supplemented by specialist courses by professionals and experts.
Skills developed by the program
We place a strong emphasis on analytical reasoning in all our courses, initiate students to finite element modelling of Earth science processes, and give them hands-on experience with geophysical and geological fieldwork and their corresponding data processing and analysis methods.
As no field in the Geosciences can be understood alone, we guide students to integrate all the knowledge and skills they acquire and apply them to analyze and solve practical Geoscience problems in a project-oriented framework. Our aim is to train well-rounded Geoscientists and Geophysicists with strong analytical, numerical, and problem-solving skills. What are the skills of an UFAZ Geoscience Master's graduate?
- He/she possesses a strong theoretical, numerical, and practical background in the Geosciences (Geophysics, Geology, and Geochemistry).
- He/she possesses the geoscience and physics insights and the mathematical skills required to deepen this background in any geoscience speciality, either through inhouse industry training, further academic training, or self-learning.
- He/she can apply this knowledge and these skills to solving new geoscience problems, pulling together insights from different fields if necessary.
- He/she can communicate effectively in English, allowing worldwide geographic mobility.
- He/she can work effectively in teams within a multi-cultural environment.
We are looking for students with a strong work-ethic, who are able to learn complex information quickly and use their knowledge to solve previously unseen problems. The ideal applicant will have bachelor level training in:
- Physics (continuum mechanics, fluid mechanics, wave propagation in elastic media, electromagnetic phenomena, potential fields);
- Geology (stratigraphy, plate tectonics, mineralogy, petrology, sedimentology);
- Chemistry (architecture and transformation of matter, chemical equilibria, the thermodynamics of chemical reactions).
Previous experience in laboratory experiments, geological and geophysical field-work, and computer programming in Python will be an advantage.
The Data Sciences and Artificial Intelligence (DSAI) UFAZ Master’s degree will focus on Big Data and Artificial Intelligence with competencies in distributed and parallel computing, imaging and networking, with practice on UFAZ’s 600TFlops non-newtonian emergent PARSEC machine. This Master’s degree in Applied Computer Sciences has been designed especially for UFAZ, having in mind both the needs of Azerbaijani companies in terms of state of the art computer programmers but also for research, in order to develop in Azerbaijan top-level computer scientists in these very modern topics.
The program combines theoretical and practical training in advanced programming, networking, distributed and parallel programming, stochastic optimization, data mining, image analysis (satellite image analysis), image synthesis (for games and animation), and of course, complex systems with collective intelligence, deep neural networks and up to the latest state of the art Symbolic and Explainable Artificial Intelligence. Teaching for each topic is done by Associate and Full Professors who are also researchers in top French computer science laboratories.
This Master’s degree is in Applied Computer Science, in the sense that hands-on practice will be put forward (with real projects) in all classes:
- on laptops, which all students should be equipped with,
- on a specific networking lab, equipped with all the necessary networking hardware for handson networking practice,
- on a non-newtonian supercomputer made of the same machines, working together as a group, creating a >800 TFlops PARSEC machine for compute-intensive research projects.
The second semester of the Master’s degree will be exclusively devoted to 6 months applicative internships in companies or research laboratories.
Skills developed by the program
Big Data, Artificial Intelligence and imaging are needed everywhere nowadays, from banking to networking companies, but also in the gaming and imaging industries down to logistics and transportation companies.
DSAI graduates will be top computer programmers with special expertise in developing Big Data analysis and Deep Learning software, but also distributed, networking and imaging software.
Project management, communication, and business creation skills will also be developed in the curriculum, meaning that the range of jobs accessible after this Master’s degree will range from toplevel applied programmers and computer scientists to company managers and CEOs but also potential PhD candidates in order to become the future computer science AI and Big Data researchers of Azerbaijan.
- Strong and hardworking candidates, quick learners in all domains of Computer Science with knowledge and skills in applied sciences (physics, chemistry) as computer science is a transdisciplinary topic that can be used in all these domains.
- State of the art knowledge and hands-on expertise in: - Linux / Unix operating system (system management, shell scripting with loops, variables, ...)
- Top procedural and object-oriented programming skills (C / C++ / Java / Python) - TCP/IP networking - Databases, PHP/MySQL
The Master of Physical Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (PCCE) at UFAZ is a two-year program covering 3 different fields:
- Chemical Engineering,
- Physical and Analytical Chemistry,
- and Chemoinformatics.
UFAZ students from the Chemical Engineering Bachelor program are encouraged to apply, as well as all students with a Bachelor’s degree in either Chemical Engineering or General Chemistry.
During the two semesters of the first year (M1), students will follow lectures and lab works in the 3 aforementioned fields. The program will also comprise specific lectures which highlight the strong interdisciplinary links between those fields. This first year will end with a 6-week summer internship. In the first semester of the second year (M2), students will choose a specialization track either in Chemical Engineering, Physical and Analytical Chemistry, or Chemoinformatics, the last two being run in Strasbourg. All tracks will propose advanced lectures in the selected field. M2 program will also include in the second semester a 5-month internship either in an academic lab or in the industry.
Skills developed by the program
The skills to be learnt and developed during the training are as follows:
- Acquire advanced knowledge in the field of specialization (Chemical Engineering, Analytical and Physical Chemistry, or Chemoinformatics);
- Acquire the experimental skills necessary for laboratory activities;
- Analyze, understand and implement research methodology. Formulate rigorous reasoning. Critical use of bibliographic resources and tools;
- Communicate clearly and precisely, both in writing and orally. Use of English in a professional context;
- Linking knowledge from different fields;
- Work independently by setting priorities, managing time and self-evaluating oneself.
These skills will be gradually developed along the two years of the formation, with a specialization in the second year. They will be put into practice during two internships, a 6-week one at the end of the first year, and a 5-month one at the end of second year.
During the second year, the student will become more autonomous, leading him/her to carry out his/her project.
We are looking for hard-working and strongly motivated students, who are able to learn complex information quickly, apply their knowledge to solve practical problems in chemistry, and fluent in English. The ideal applicant will have bachelor level training in:
- Fundamental Chemistry (architecture and transformation of matter, chemical equilibria, kinetics, spectroscopy, electrochemistry, chemistry of materials, analytical chemistry);
- Chemical Engineering (chemical reactors, heat and momentum transport, thermodynamics, chemical process dynamics, major unit operations);
- Experimental chemistry;
- Informatics (notions of algorithms and programming).
Previous experience in a chemistry laboratory will be an advantage.